The following points summarize the key concepts in this chapter:
The Three Stages of Computing
- Computing occurs in three stages: input, processing, and output.
- All computer hardware can be classified in one or more of these stages.
Components of a Computer
- An input device retrieves data from an outside source and brings it into the computer for processing.
- A processing device takes information and alters it in some useful manner.
- An output device takes the altered information and stores or displays it.
- Computers require additional components to protect operations and ensure optimal performance.
- Use of surge suppressors and uninterruptible power supplies can protect computers from damage caused by power spikes and surges.