This book follows what I feel is a logical approach to configuring a small- to medium-sized network. It is an approach that I give to my students when they invariably ask for some sort of outline to plan and then configure a network. Specifically, this approach is as follows:
Part I: TCP/IP
- - Chapter 1, "How to Subnet" An overview of how to subnet; examples of subnetting both a Class B and a Class C address; the use of the Binary AND operation; the Enhanced Bob Maneuver to subnetting.
- - Chapter 2, "VLSM" An overview of VLSM; an example of using VLSM to make your IP plan more efficient.
- - Chapter 3, "Route Summarization" Using Route Summarization to make your routing updates more efficient; an example of how to summarize a network; necessary requirements for summarizing your network.
Part II: Introduction to Cisco Devices
- - Chapter 4, "Cables and Connections" An overview of how to connect to Cisco devices, which cables to use for which interfaces, and the differences between the TIA/EIA 568A and 568B wiring standards for UTP.
- - Chapter 5, "The Command-Line Interface" How to navigate through the Cisco IOS; IOS editing commands, keyboard shortcuts, and IOS help commands.
Part III: Configuring a Router
- - Chapter 6, "Configuring a Single Cisco Router" Commands needed to configure a single router: names, passwords, configuring interfaces, MOTD banners, IP host tables, saving and erasing your configurations.
Part IV: Routing
- - Chapter 7, "Static Routing" How to configure static routes in your internetwork.
- - Chapter 8, "RIP" Commands on configuring and verifying RIP and RIPv2; how to see and clear your routing table.
- - Chapter 9, "IGRP" Commands on configuring and verifying IGRP.
- - Chapter 10, "EIGRP" Commands on configuring and verifying EIGRP.
- - Chapter 11, "Single Area OSPF" Commands on configuring and verifying Single Area OSPF.
Part V: Switches
- - Chapter 12, "Configuring a Switch" Commands needed for configuration of Catalyst 1900/2900/2950 switches: names; passwords; IP addresses; default gateways; port speed and duplex; configuring static MAC addresses; managing the MAC address table; port security.
- - Chapter 13, "Spanning Tree Protocol and EtherChannel" Verifying spanning tree; setting switch priorities; creating and verifying EtherChannel groups between switches.
- - Chapter 14, "VLANs" Configuring static VLANs on 1900/2900/2950 switches; troubleshooting VLANs; saving and deleting VLAN information.
- - Chapter 15, "VTP and Inter-VLAN Communication" Configuring a VLAN Trunk Link; VTP configuration; verifying VTP; inter-VLAN communication; router-on-a-stick and subinterfaces.
Part VI: Network Administration and Troubleshooting
- - Chapter 16, "Backing Up and Restoring Cisco IOS Software and Configurations" Boot commands for the IOS; backing up and restoring IOS using TFTP and Xmodem; firmware upgrades for Catalyst switches.
- - Chapter 17, "Password Recovery and the Configuration Register" The configuration register; password recovery procedure for routers and switches.
- - Chapter 18, "CDP" Commands related to customization and verification of CDP.
- - Chapter 19, "Telnet" Commands used for Telnet to remotely connect to other devices.
- - Chapter 20, "Ping and Traceroute" Commands for both Ping and extended Ping; the Traceroute command.
- - Chapter 21, "SNMP and Syslog" Configuring SNMP; working with syslog.
- - Chapter 22, "Basic Troubleshooting" Various show commands used to view the routing table; interpreting the show interface command; how to verify your IP settings using different operating systems.
Part VII: Managing IP Services
- - Chapter 23, "NAT" Commands relating to NAT and PAT configuration and verification.
- - Chapter 24, "DHCP" Commands relating to DHCP configuration and verification.
Part VIII: Wide-Area Networks
- - Chapter 25, "HDLC and PPP" Configuring PPP; authentication of PPP using PAP or CHAP; compression in PPP; multilink in PPP; troubleshooting PPP; returning to HDLC encapsulation.
- - Chapter 26, "ISDN and DDR" Configuring a BRI interface; configuring a PRI interface; verifying ISDN; configuring legacy DDR; verifying and troubleshooting legacy DDR.
- - Chapter 27, "Frame Relay" Configuring basic Frame Relay; Frame Relay and subinterfaces; DLCIs; verifying and troubleshooting Frame Relay.
Part IX: Network Security
- - Chapter 28, "IP Access Control List Security" Configuring standard ACLs; wildcard masking; creating extended ACLs; creating named ACLs; using sequence numbers in named ACLs; verifying and troubleshooting ACLs.
Part X: Appendixes
- - Appendix A, "Complete Configuration Example" A diagram of a complex network using all technologies in this book is shown, with complete scripts of what commands are used to create this networkscripts are for every device in the network, and show both the command and the prompt.
- - Appendix B, "Binary/Hex/Decimal Conversion Chart" A chart showing numbers 0-255 in the three numbering systems of binary, hexadecimal, and decimal.
- - Appendix C, "Create Your Own Journal Here" Some blank pages for you to add in your own specific commands that may not be in this book.