The following questions will help you determine whether you have learned enough to move on to the next chapter. If you have difficulty answering these questions, please go back and review the material in this chapter before beginning the next chapter. See Appendix A, "Questions and Answers," for the answers to these questions.
- What should you do if you can't see any output on the secondary display?
- You have configured recovery options on a computer running Windows 2000 Professional to write debugging information to a file if a system failure occurs. You notice, however, that the file isn't being created. What could be causing this problem?
- You installed a new network interface card (NIC) in your computer, but it doesn't seem to be working. Describe how you would troubleshoot this problem.
- You install a new 10-GB disk drive that you want to divide into five equal 2-GB sections. What are your options?
- You are trying to create a striped volume on your Windows NT Server to improve performance. You confirm that you have enough unallocated disk space on two disks in your computer, but when you right-click an area of unallocated space on a disk, a dialog box appears indicating that your only option is to create a partition. What is the problem and how would you resolve it?
- You add a new disk to your computer and attempt to extend an existing volume to include the unallocated space on the new disk, but the option to extend the volume isn't available. What is the problem and how would you resolve it?
- You dual boot your computer with Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Professional. You upgrade a second drive—which you are using to archive files—from basic storage to dynamic storage. The next time you try to access your archived files from Windows 98, you are unable to read the files. Why?
- You are the administrator for a computer running Windows 2000 Professional. You want to restrict users to 25 MB of available storage space. How do you configure the volumes on the computer?
- The Sales department archives old sales data on a network computer running Windows 2000 Professional. Several other departments share the server. You have begun to receive complaints from users in other departments that the server has little remaining disk space. What can you do to alleviate the problem?
- A friend of yours just installed Windows 2000 Professional on his home computer. He called you to help him configure Advanced Power Management (APM), and when you told him to double-click Power Options in Control Panel and click on the APM tab, he told you he did not have an APM tab. What is the most likely reason there is no APM tab?
- Many commercial airlines require you to turn off portable computers during certain portions of a flight. Does placing your computer in Hibernate mode comply with these airline regulations? Why or why not?
- Your boss has started to manually assign resource settings to all devices, including Plug and Play devices, and wants you to finish the job. What should you do?
- You receive a call at the Help desk from a user who is trying to configure her fax settings, and she tells you that she does not have an Advanced Options tab. What could the problem be?