1. Ojanpera, T. and Prasad, R., An overview of third-generation wireless personal communications: a European perspective, IEEE Personal Commun., 5 (6), 59–65, 1998.
2. Shannon, C.E., A mathematical theory of communications, Bell Syst. Tech. J., 27, 379–423 and 623–656, 1948.
3. Cover, T.M. and Thomas, J.A., Elements of Information Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1990.
4. Cox, D.C., Universal digital portable radio communications, Proc. IEEE, 75 (4), 436–477, 1987.
5. Biglieri, E., Proakis, J., and Shamai, S., Fading channels: information-theoretic and communication aspects, IEEE Trans. Information Theory, 44 (6), 2619–2692, 1998.
6. Verd , S., Multiuser Detection, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1998.
7. Winters, J.H., Smart antennas for wireless systems, IEEE Personal Commun., 5, 23–27, 1998.
8. Jakes, W.C., Microwave Mobile Communications, IEEE Press, New York, 1974.
9. Foschini, G.J. and Gans, M.J., On the limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas, Wireless Personal Communications, 1998, pp. 315–335.
10. Telatar, I.E., Capacity of multiantenna Gaussian channels, Eur. Trans. Telecommun., 10, Nov. 1999, pp. 585–595.
11. Raleigh, G. and Cioffi, J.M., Spatio-temporal coding for wireless communications, IEEE Trans. Commun., 46 (3), 357–366, 1998.
12. Goldsmith, A.J. and Varaiya, P., Capacity of fading channels with channel side information, IEEE Trans. Information Theory, 1985–1992, Nov. 1997.
13. European Corporation in the Field of Scientific and Technical Research EURO-COST 231, Urban Transmission Loss Models for Mobile Radio in the 900 and 1800 MHz Bands, Revision 2, The Hague, Sept. 1991.
14. Chu, T.-S. and Greenstein, L.J., A semiempirical representation of antenna diversity gain at cellular and PCS base stations, IEEE Trans. Commun., 45–46, June 1997.
15. Gesbert, D. et al., MIMO Wireless Channels: Capacity and Performance Prediction, Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM'00, San Francisco, Dec. 2000.
16. Marzetta, T.L., BLAST Training: Estimating Channel Characteristics for High Capacity Space-Time Wireless, Proc. 37th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Monticello, Illinois, Sept. 1999.
17. Lozano, A. and Tulino, A.M., Capacity of multiple-transmit multiple-receive antenna architectures, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 48(12), 3117–3128, Dec. 2002.
18. Verd , S. and Shamai, S., Spectral efficiency of CDMA with random spreading, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 45, 622–640, 1999.
19. Rapajic, P. and Popescu, D., Information capacity of a random signature multiple-input multiple-output channel, IEEE Trans. Commun., 48 (8), 1245–1248, 2000.
20. Bender, P. et al., CDMA/HDR: a bandwidth-efficient high-speed wireless data service for nomadic users, IEEE Commun., 38 (7), 70–77, 2000.
21. 3G TR 25.950, UTRA High Speed Downlink Packet Access, Third Generation Partnership Project, Technical Specification Group Radio Access Network, March 2001.
22. Guey, J.-C. et al., Signal design for transmitter diversity wireless communication systems over Rayleigh fading channels, Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC'96), Atlanta, 1996, pp. 136–140.
23. Tarokh, V., Seshadri, N., and Calderbank, A.R., Space-time codes for high data rate wireless communications: performance criterion and code construction, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 44, 744–765, 1998.
24. Hammons, A.R. Jr. and El Gamal, H., On the theory of space-time codes for PSK modulation, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 46 (2), 524–542, 2000.
25. Tao, M. and Cheng, R.S., Improved design criteria and new trellis codes for space-time coded modulation in slow flat-fading channels, IEEE Commun. Lett., 5 (7), 313–315, 2001.
26. Byun, M.-K. and Lee, B.G., New Bounds of Pairwise Error Probability for Space-Time Codes in Rayleigh Fading Channels, Proc. Wireless Communication and Networking Conference (WCNC'02), March 2002, 89–93.
27. Hochwald, B.M. and ten Brink, S., Achieving Near-Capacity on a Multiple-Antenna Channel, Proc. Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Oct. 2001, 815–824.
28. Biglieri, E., Tulino, A.M., and Taricco, G., Performance of space-time codes for a large number of antennas, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 48 (7), 1794–1803, 2002.
29. Vikalo, H. and Hassibi, B., Maximum-likelihood sequence detection of multiple antenna systems over dispersive channels via sphere decoding, EURASIP J. Appl. Signal Process., Special issue on space-time coding and its applications, Part II, 2002.
30. Foschini, G.J., Layered space-time architecture for wireless communications in a fading environment when using multielement antennas, Bell Labs Tech. J., 41–59, 1996.
31. Foschini, G.J. et al., Simplified processing for high spectral efficiency wireless communication employing multielement arrays, J. Selected Areas Commun., 17 (11), 1841–1852, 1999.
32. Zheng, H., Lozano, A., and Haleem, M., Multiple ARQ Processes for MIMO Systems, 13th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC'2000), Lisbon, Portugal, Sept. 15–18, 2002.
33. Ariyavisitakul, S.L., Turbo space-time processing to improve wireless channel capacity, IEEE Trans. Commun., 48 (8), 1347–1358, 2000.
34. Lozano, A. and Papadias, C.B., Layered space-time receivers for frequency-selective wireless channels, IEEE Trans. Commun., 50 (1), 65–73, 2002.
35. Kermoal, J. P. et al., Experimental Investigation of Multipath Richness for Multielement Transmit-and-Receive Antenna Arrays, Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC'00 Spring), Tokyo, May 2000.
36. Martin, C.C., Winters, J. H., and Sollenberger, N.R., Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) Radio Channel Measurements, Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC'00 Fall), Boston, Sept. 2000.
37. Xu, H. et al., Experimental verification of MTMR system capacity in a controlled propagation environment, IEEE Electron. Lett., July 2001.
38. Ling, J. et al., Multiple transmit multiple receive (MTMR) capacity survey in Manhattan, IEEE Electron. Lett., 37 (16), 1041–1042, 2001.
39. Erceg, V. et al., Capacity Obtained from Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Channel Measurements in Fixed Wireless Environments at 2.5 GHz, Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC'02), New York, Apr. 2002.
40. Chizhik, D. et al., Keyholes, Correlations and capacities of multielement transmit-and-receive antennas, IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., 2 (1), 361–368, 2002.
41. Dietrich, C.B. Jr. et al., Spatial, polarization, and pattern diversity for wireless handheld terminals, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, 49 (9), 1271–1281, 2001.
42. Marzetta, T.L. and Hochwald, B.H., Capacity of a mobile multiple-antenna communication link in Rayleigh flat fading, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 45 (1), 139–157, 1999.
43. Hochwald, B.H. and Marzetta, T.L., Unitary space-time modulation for multiple-antenna communications in Rayleigh flat fading, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 46, 543–564, Mar. 2000.
44. Hassibi, B., Cayley Codes for Multiple-Antenna Differential Modulation, Proc. Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Pacific Grove, California, Vol. 1, Nov. 2001.