To test your understanding of ICMPv6, answer the following questions. See Appendix D to check your answers.
- How do you distinguish ICMPv6 error messages from ICMPv6 informational messages?
- Which fields of the Echo Request message are echoed in the Echo Reply message?
- For a maximum-sized IPv6 packet with a Fragment extension header sent on an Ethernet link, how many bytes of the original payload are returned in an ICMPv6 Destination Unreachable message?
- How can you tell whether a returned packet was discarded by a firewall that is enforcing network policy or a router that could not resolve the link-layer address of the destination?
- Why is the MTU field in the ICMPv6 Packet Too Big message 4 bytes long when the Next Hop MTU field in the ICMPv4 Destination Unreachable-Fragmentation Needed and DF Set message is only 2 bytes long?
- Why isn't the ICMPv6 Parameter Problem-Unrecognized Option message sent when the 2 high-order bits of an option's Option Type field are set to either 00 (binary) or 01 (binary)?
- Based on the IPv6 design requirement to minimize processing at IPv6 routers, why is there no equivalent to the ICMPv4 Source Quench message in IPv6?