Release management ensures that the correct artifacts are shipped to the customers who want or need them. It is based on the following concepts:
- Program families
- Components and artifacts
- Versionsa fixed or frozen component or other artifact
- Revisiona new version intended to supersede the old
- Variationan alternative implementation
- Distributiona set version created for distribution to a set of customers
- Releasea named distribution
Release management involves three factors: what you're releasing, who you're targeting, and customer motivation.
Releases must be identified. The four-digit tuple x.y.z.build is a proven way to create release identifiers.
SKUs are used to manage releases within back-office systems such as accounting and order fulfillment.