The .NET framework forms the foundation for application development. Microsoft Visual Studio .NET provides the tool set used to build XML Web services and applications using the .NET Framework and a common object-oriented programming model.
There are three major goals for .NET Framework:
- Simplify development of Web services and applications.
- Provide a set of developer tools and libraries that work across programming languages and computing devices.
- Make Microsoft Windows applications more reliable, secure, and easier to use.
Microsoft .NET Framework consists of a development environment which includes five key technologies:
- Visual Studio .NET development environment built from the ground up for XML Web services.
- Common language runtime that hosts running applications.
- Class libraries.
- Programming languages that make use of the common language runtime and class libraries.
- Microsoft ASP.NET for developing Web applications and Web services.