- Each chapter opens with a section titled "Before You Begin" that prepares you for completing the chapter.
- At the beginning of each lesson, you will find an estimate of how long it will take to complete that lesson. While actual times will vary with readers, these estimates can give you a general idea of how much time you'll need to set aside for completion of the lesson at hand.
- In each chapter, procedures, exercises, and lesson review questions are included to give you an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills being presented.
- At the end of each lesson, the "Lesson Summary" section reviews the concepts covered in that lesson. At the end of each chapter, the "Chapter Review" section allows you to test what you have learned in the entire chapter.
- Appendix A, "Questions and Answers," contains each review and exercise question for every chapter, along with corresponding answers.
- The Glossary defines key computer-networking and relevant scientific terms used in the book.
Notes appear throughout the lessons.
- Notes marked Tip contain explanations of possible results or alternative methods.
- Notes marked Important contain information that is essential to completing a task.
- Notes marked Note contain supplemental information.
- Notes marked Caution contain warnings about possible loss of data or other hazards.
Icons represent specific sections in the book as follows:
|Icon ||Represents |
| ||A multimedia presentation. You will find the applicable multimedia presentation on the Supplemental Course Material compact disc. |
| ||A hands-on exercise. You should perform the exercise to give yourself an opportunity to use the skills being presented in the lesson. |
| ||Lesson Checkup and Chapter Review questions. These questions appear at the end of many lessons and of each chapter, giving you the opportunity to test what you learned in the lessons. You will find the answers to these questions in Appendix A, "Questions and Answers," at the back of the book. |