To test your understanding of the IPv6 header, answer the following questions. See Appendix D, "Testing for Understanding Answers" to check your answers.
- Why does the IPv6 header not include a checksum?
- What is the IPv6 equivalent to the IHL field in the IPv4 header?
- How does the combination of the Traffic Class and Flow Label fields provide better support for QoS traffic?
- Which extension headers are fragmentable and why? Which extension headers are not fragmentable and why?
- Describe a situation that results in an IPv6 packet that contains a Fragment Header in which the Fragment Offset field is set to 0 and the More Fragments flag is not set.
- Describe how the new upper-layer checksum calculation affects transport layer protocols such as TCP and UDP.
- If the minimum MTU for IPv6 packets is 1,280 bytes, then how are 1,280-byte packets sent on a link that supports only 512-byte frames?