Here are one company's antivirus guidelines. Notice that guidelines can be less formal and don't generally contain an enforcement section because they are not requirements.
The following are recommended processes to prevent virus problems:
- Supported antivirus software is available from the corporate download site. Download and run the current version; download and install antivirus software updates as they become available.
- Never open any files or macros attached to an e-mail from an unknown, suspicious, or untrustworthy source. Delete these attachments immediately and then "double delete" them by emptying your Trash.
- Delete spam, chain, and other junk e-mail without forwarding, in compliance with 's Acceptable Use Policy.
- Never download files from unknown or suspicious sources.
- Avoid direct disk sharing with read/write access unless there is absolutely a business requirement to do so.
- Always scan a floppy disk from an unknown source for viruses before using it.
- Back up critical data and system configurations on a regular basis and store the data in a safe place.
- If lab testing conflicts with antivirus software, run the antivirus utility to ensure a clean machine, disable the software, then run the lab test. After the lab test, enable the antivirus software. When the antivirus software is disabled, do not run any applications that could transfer a virus, such as e-mail or file sharing.
- New viruses are discovered almost every day. Periodically check the Lab Antivirus Policy and this recommended processes list for updates.